top of page
Designing a job recruitment platform for students and professionals to run alongside the existing Oversite application for student organization operations


Overview & Problem Statement

Oversite is an application which offers operational assistance and streamlining for university student organizations. The company decided to expand this service into a recruitment platform which will allow for those students already using the Oversite application to be found by recruiters. This project involved the design of the new recruitment platform.

The Oversite team needed a platform to leverage the data they were able to collect from their existing application and recruiters needed a place to easily access the data collected and sort through this to suit their position needs. 

Users & Audience

The users of this new tool will be both recruiters and students who register their profile with Oversite. The samples of the project shown in this case study will show the recruitment side of the application.

Roles & Responsibilities

I was the lead user experience and user interaction designer on this project. I worked with the Oversite executive team of two people, and a development team of four people. My responsibilities were to lead and direct the team in all design decisions and maintain the progress of the project on the project management software, ClickUp. Additionally, I coordinated with the developers to ensure that my design decisions would not complicate the project unnecessarily.

SCOpe & COnstraints

There were some budgetary constraints as the Oversite team was waiting on funding that would not come until two months after the project was completed. As this project was completed during the COVID-19 pandemic, all major stakeholders were spread across the country so all meetings were held virtually.


I started by meeting with the clients, the Oversite team, to determine what functionalities and tools were necessary, and the branding that they wanted for the final application. Next, I met with the developers to discuss whether those functionalities were feasible. Once we finalized which of the functionalities were going into the final product, I started designing.

I used Sketch for the design of the application and used the colors and fonts developed for the initial Oversite application in my design. This decision was made with the Oversite team to ensure consistency and unity across their platforms.

Throughout the design process, I had weekly sprint meetings with the Oversite team to ensure that they were happy with the progress. I also had meetings with the development team to explain my design and describe the necessary functionality of each asset.


The entire team had access to the design as it progressed through the InVision online app. This ensured full transparency and visibility at every stage of the project and allowed the stakeholders to comment directly on the design elements for any changes.

I wanted to make sure that my design was intuitive to use and inclusive for different types of recruiters and applicants. This is why I designed a sidebar that people would recognize and that was familiar to existing search and filter sidebars. 

The profile dashboard was designed with the Google Analytics dashboard in mind, a tool that many people are familiar with and that explains and displays data in a clear manner. *There are some improvements to be made to the dashboard and I am still working with Oversite on this design.*

Once the design was finalized, I managed the asset handoff to developers and created a prototype in InVision to explain the flow of the platform. 

Outcomes & Results

Overall, the client was happy with the design and appreciated the use of the existing color and font theme in order to make the flow from the application to the recruitment platform as seamless as possible. 

Over the course of this project, I learned about how to manage client expectations, stay within scope, communicate appropriately with developers and stakeholders, and gained experience in design handoff to developers. Something that I think worked well was having the designs automatically sync to InVision to allow all of the stakeholders access to the design at all stages of the process. 

There is room for improvement on the design side of the profile dashboard, and I am working with the Oversite team to make some changes. 

I think that on the whole, I succeeded in making an intuitive and visually appealing platform that will work well for both students and recruiters.  

bottom of page